Every year, we invite you to a meeting. We always talk about journalists and the current affairs in the media world. Every time, we welcome you in Sofia. For this reason, eight years later, it is time to introduce Sofia Talks Media. Our annual media events will be united under this name.
The annual press conferences of AEJ-Bulgaria have been held continuously since 2015. A total of 54 speakers and nearly 1,000 participants made these events part of the country’s media landscape.
The Bulgarian audience became acquainted with many international lecturers over the years. Some of the names among them are:
- Paul Radu, Romanian investigative journalist, executive director of the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project and co-founder of the Investigative Dashboard (“Innovative Journalism”, 2015);
- Jacques Pezet is a journalist at Libération newspaper and part of the Correctiv.org team (“Europe Against Disinformation”, 2017);
- Jakub Górnicki, co-founder of the Polish media project Outriders (“(R)Evolution in Journalism”, 2018);
- Jelena Vasić, investigative journalist and co-founder of the Serbian investigative journalism portal KRIK (“(R)Evolution in Journalism”, 2018);
- David Boardman, Chair of the Solutions Journalism Network and Dean of the Klein College of Media and Communication at Temple University, Philadelphia (“Journalism in Search of Solutions,” 2019);
- Latif Nasser, one of the hosts at Radiolab (Listen Up! podcast festival, 2020);
- Asthaa Chaturvedi, producer at The Daily, the popular New York Times news podcast (Listen Up Podcast Festival Vol.2, 2021);
- Maria Koreniuk, BBC journalist (“War in Ukraine: The New Frontlines”, 2022).
The first event from the Sofia Talks Media series will be dedicated to young people in journalism and to journalism for youth and children. The event is supported by the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom and the America for Bulgaria Foundation.
Questions we will seek to answer during the conference include:
- What do we know about young audiences?
- What are the best practices when we cover topics related to children and young people?
- How should we talk to children when they are our sources?
- How to write for teenagers?
- Which topics are young people interested in? What are the issues that the media doesn’t pay attention to?
- How do we reach the young audience?